Friday, February 1, 2013

Volunteer Year 2013 - January

My year of volunteer work has started! A couple weeks ago, I tried out a new church for the first time. It was close to home and I was able to walk there. It was perfect timing because during the service, they asked for volunteers! It was an opportunity to serve food to the homeless at another local church. I signed up for two time slots: one breakfast and one dinner. Last Sunday was the breakfast and I really enjoyed it.

The shelter is at the Hollywood Presbyterian church that has a designated room for people to sleep on cots. They are also able to pack all their linens into bags that are stored during the day as they must be out of the shelter by 7AM each day. We had to be there by 5:30 which means I rolled out of bed at 5 and walked there since it was close enough. One thing I wasn't prepared for was that we were responsible for purchasing the food served. I have helped out other shelters several times and the food has always been on hand already. So the three of us pitched in to purchase grab and go items for our guests to either eat at the shelter or take for the day. Luckily one of the other ladies was able to do the shopping, I just had to reimburse her for my share. Breakfast was served until 7AM and had minimal clean up afterward.

It was a great morning and I was able to interact with a number of people. The girls I worked with were great and after talking realized we were both Azusa Pacific alums! I signed up for an evening as well which is planned for this Friday. I am looking forward to seeing the same people for dinner or meeting new ones. It was a really rewarding experience and I'm SO glad my 2013 goal is focused on others this year, instead of myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment