Saturday, January 21, 2012

Food, Family & Fire King

I've found a new love for cookware....especially Fire King brown glass. My grandmother gave me two cooking dishes a couple years ago and it started my obsession! At the time, I reluctantly took them home and had no plans to use either; I didn't want to take them out of the cupboard because I hated the color. They sat unused until I found another piece at one of my favorite thrift stores last year. By having three pieces, it meant I had a collection....I love adding to collections. This spurred my quest to search for more.

Fire King glassware has been around since the 1940's and is made by Anchor Hocking Co. which was established in 1905. I never see advertisements for their products but it's a huge company and their glassware is everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if you had some Anchor Hocking dishes in your kitchen. Fire King used to me made in several different colors with cute names like 'Forget Me Not' and 'Anniversary Pink' but now it only comes in clear glass.

I have been using my pieces a lot lately to cook vegetables for dinner. Carrots and Brussels sprouts are my favorites but you can make a number of vegetables with the recipe below. I like to throw heaps of several veggies in at the same time so I can eat them over several days. Below is the recipe and a play by play..

Preheat oven at 400*
Cut up vegetables in small pieces
(Brussels sprouts in half, broccoli or cauliflowers in quarters, baby carrots don't have to be cut)
Place vegetables in the dish and pour olive oil on them until completely coated
(oil can vary based on the amount of veggies, I like a little extra to make them crispy)
Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste, lemon zest is good too
Cook for 45 minutes, stirring every 15









My grandma passed away on January 11th and I miss her so much. Dinda was so generous and amazing, the center of my family and a mentor for many on how to love and care for others. The Fire King glass was just one of the millions of things she gave me that was hers and I am so grateful I have them. She will be in my heart and I will remember her daily in the many things I do to be like her. Here are some pictures of her from the last two years.

Taken March 21, 2010

She loved In n Out and would treat herself after every chemo treatment.

Taken April 8, 2011

My last photo with Dinda - September 20, 1925 to January 11, 2012. <3

Taken December 22, 2011

Taken c 1987 - Forest Home

No comments:

Post a Comment