Monday, March 18, 2013

Overnight Oats

You guys - I'm obsessed! This is a revelation and I'm so excited to tell you about it. I am way behind the times but for those of you who haven't heard of them, I had to share it with you. Overnight oats is an easy breakfast solution for vegans and non-vegans, health nuts and non-health nuts. It takes less than 10 minutes to prep and is a healthy alternative to sweet breakfasts like a parfait or pancakes. I use a mason jar but you can use a bowl, cup, Tupperware, etc. and can be covered or uncovered. The recipe can vary to taste but it is just rolled oats with whatever additions you want. Here is what I include:

1/2 cup dried rolled oats
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
1 tbsp homemade sugar free jelly
1/2 mashed banana
1/4 cup coconut water
1/4 cup water
Lots of cinnamon
Pinch of salt
*If you are looking for more protein, you could add Greek or coconut yogurt
**To cut down on sugar, replace banana with no sugar added applesauce

Add all ingredients and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator. The next morning the oats are soft and ready to eat. I add slivered almonds to give it some crunch and more protein. You could also add berries, granola, agave, etc. It's perfect after my morning runs or to keep you fueled up for a long day. If you try this treat, let me know what you include in your oats.




No comments:

Post a Comment