Friday, October 5, 2012

Bikram Newby

So I recently starting doing Bikram (hot) Yoga aaaaaand I love it! I have always been a gym rat and would work out for hours at a time but lately it's all changed. My body has really responded to these sessions and it is a great way to relax and release stress, toxins, tensions and flush your internal organs. I found a studio close to home and was able to purchase a month pass at the introductory rate. The best part is there are late night classes that work with my schedule. 


The typical bikram uniform is minimal-men wear a pair of shorts and women wear shorts and a sports bra. Luckily I didn't feel the need to go crazy and purchase everything relating to the sport right away like I usually do including new outfits, accessories and gear. The studio does require you to bring a mat and towel every time so I had to improvise for a short time. For the first week I was able to rent a mat for $2 per class which was helpful. I planned to borrow my mom's mat but ended up finding one on eBay at a great price. It was used of course so I was worried about the condition of it but when I opened the package, I was pleasantly surprised. Looking at new mats from brands like Lululemon and Prana, I was shocked that some were selling for up to $70-80!! With shipping, mine was under $25. I also bought a useroo towel which I probably didn't need but I am glad I did. The room gets so hot and your body is working surprisingly hard, it is easy to sweat out what feels like gallons. A thick yoga towel is a good idea and they are made to fit the length of the mat perfectly. I found a great Prana towel on eBay as well for under $30 with shipping. It is a wonderful feeling every time I leave class. I highly recommend checking out a studio where you can by individual classes to try it out or an introductory rate.

I hope I can do this when I am older!

No comments:

Post a Comment