Monday, July 9, 2012

On the Other Side

I haven't posted anything in the last two weeks because I have made some serious changes. In the last month, I have:
  1. Accepted a Promotion
  2. Moved out of Long Beach
  3. Moved to Los Angeles
The change was perfect timing and I am looking forward to this new adventure but in the meantime, I have been a wreck! Knowing I was going to be moving, I decided to have a garage sale to get rid of as much as I could. I hadn't put one together before but thought it would be a great opportunity. I go to enough of them to know it is a lot of work but I was up for the challenge. I thought it would be fun to see what it's like on the other side of things and be the seller instead of the buyer. Now realize how annoying it is to deal with bargainers like me!

I was very resourceful and made signs from old poster boards, used arrows from meetings and left over packing tape. For some reason, I decided to put the boards together it the parking lot of Trader Joe's and was really pleased with how they turned out. The night before the sale, I had SO much to take care of: run errands before moving, put out the signs, pack and prepping for the next morning.  Then on my way home, I got into an accident! The first thing I thought when my car came to a stop (and after cursing) was "Oh my gosh, this completely ruins my plan for the night." I was extremely upset and cranky because it set back all of the tasks I needed to handle for the next couple days. I wasn't injured, it wasn't my fault and the damage could have been worse so I should be relieved and grateful. Once the initial panic went away, I realized it wasn't as bad as it could of been and I was thankful.



  
The next morning, I was up at 6 with tea in hand and set up the sale. I made a decent amount of money and had a lot of fun. Mapping out where I was going to place everything to lure buyers in was the best part. I was surprised though, a lot of items I thought would sell didn't. I felt like a customer on Pawn Stars that thought my crappy relic was worth thousands and didn't understand why buyers didn't want to pay more than $1.00 for anything! In the end, whatever I didn't sell was donated. I just finished the move and have bruises, sore hands and scratches to show for it. My entire move was done without buying anything new, including: boxes, tape, paper for wrapping, truck rental, storage rental and even the lock on the storage unit. It all came together really easily (except for the accident).


Old Navy v-neck, Active pants, Haviana sandals, Forever 21 hat

Gap t-shirt, vintage Roxy overalls, Forever 21 sunglasses


Once we were done, a huge slurpee was SO needed!

No comments:

Post a Comment